[Distutils] [Python-Dev] distlib updated with resources API

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 06:37:43 CEST 2012

The wheel strategy has just been to implement the peps in setuptools
and in pkg_resources. It is nearly effortless to do so since the PEPs
are so similar to the existing system of eggs. Plus you get to play
with it using 900 * 1.6 ** (year-2005) packages.

Afterwards, with binary packages, you can deprecate the distutils
build system. You still have to build package with distutils forever,
but it doesn't matter as much because you don't have to do it on your
production machine.

When a particular package has trouble with distutils, you tell them to
choose among a healthy ecosystem of superior build systems rather than
trying to add features to distutils.

Are we trying to kill setuptools? I'm not entirely sure, but we should
stop trying to do that. The migration should take essentially forever
as soon as it makes sense for each pypi publisher.