[Distutils] PEP 426 updated (with more than you ever wanted to know about version schemes)

Marcus Smith qwcode at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 05:02:06 CET 2013

> >> Projects which wish to use non-compliant version identifiers must
>> restrict themselves to metadata v1.1
>>
>> currently, "Projects" don't have control over this, right?
>> setuptools/distutils just writes 1.0 or 1.1 metadata, period.
>> maybe that can be clarified for me and others.
>> what can a project really do right now to use v1.3?  nothing, except wait
>> for tool chain updates?
>>

> bdist_wheel converts a project's metadata to version 1.3 to express extras
> and dependencies in wheel files.
>
> pkg_resources (part of distribute) doesn't care about the version or the
> payload section and works fine in the presence of md 1.3.

my point wasn't to talk about how packaging/install tools create, respond
to, or ignore metadata versions.

It's about the wording that implies that Projects (normal projects like
"pyramid") have some control over what metadata version they're going to
use.

They have no control in any current tools, right?  It's not like they can
add "Metadata-version" to their setup() function.

Marcus