[Distutils] PEP 426 is now the draft spec for distribution metadata 2.0

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 13:34:27 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 5:38 AM, Philippe Ombredanne
<pombredanne at nexb.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 2:10 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The latest draft of PEP 426 is up at http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0426/
> This is looking great!
>
>> License (optional)
>> ------------------
> [...]
>> The full text of the license would normally be included in a separate
>> file.
>
> I know it is late in the game to do modifications but I often find
> myself chasing down the actual full text of a license in a
> distribution.
> Would you be open to a new optional field that could point to the
> license file(s) that may be present with the distribution?

I'm not sure a new field would help you much anyway, since anyone that
doesn't put their license file in one of the obvious places (COPYING,
LICENSE, LICENSE.txt) isn't likely to populate such a field.

So, not for 2.0. There's already a lot of changes in this version, and
I'd like to see a more persuasive case made that such a field would be
used consistently enough to be helpful before adding it.

Cheers,
Nick.