[Distutils] Another conversation starter - pip documentation in the Python docs

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 15:01:50 CEST 2013

On 14 July 2013 12:42, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is the hole
> https://python-packaging-user-guide.readthedocs.org/en/latest/ is
> supposed to fill - once it's "ready" (i.e. things have stabilised
> sufficiently , then I'd like to replace the "Installing Python Modules" and
> "Distributing Python Modules" sections for 2.7 and 3.3 with some *very*
> abbreviated quick start guides that then reference that site. The 3.3
> changes would then carry over into 3.4.

Hmm, OK. I've no problem with that (although I do find the packaging guide
pretty hard to get into for an end user who only wants to *use* packages,
not *create* them, but that's a separate issue for me to address by
providing some pull requests). I was more thinking in terms of your quick
start guides. I think we should explain *in the core documentation* how to
(a) install a new package, (b) uninstall a package, (c) list what is
installed and (d) upgrade pip itself. That translates to the pip install,
uninstall, and list commands at a minimum.

I could offer some text, if that's the way you want to go with this. How
about if I provide a new (short) document called something like "Python
package management" and we work out how to integrate it into the docs as
things settle down?

Paul