[Distutils] Another conversation starter - pip documentation in the Python docs

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 15:43:46 CEST 2013

On 14 July 2013 23:01, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 July 2013 12:42, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is the hole
>> https://python-packaging-user-guide.readthedocs.org/en/latest/ is
>> supposed to fill - once it's "ready" (i.e. things have stabilised
>> sufficiently , then I'd like to replace the "Installing Python Modules" and
>> "Distributing Python Modules" sections for 2.7 and 3.3 with some *very*
>> abbreviated quick start guides that then reference that site. The 3.3
>> changes would then carry over into 3.4.
>>

> Hmm, OK. I've no problem with that (although I do find the packaging guide
> pretty hard to get into for an end user who only wants to *use* packages,
> not *create* them, but that's a separate issue for me to address by
> providing some pull requests). I was more thinking in terms of your quick
> start guides. I think we should explain *in the core documentation* how to
> (a) install a new package, (b) uninstall a package, (c) list what is
> installed and (d) upgrade pip itself. That translates to the pip install,
> uninstall, and list commands at a minimum.
>
> I could offer some text, if that's the way you want to go with this. How
> about if I provide a new (short) document called something like "Python
> package management" and we work out how to integrate it into the docs as
> things settle down?

That sounds great - so far it's mostly just been myself and Marcus thinking
about it (mostly Marcus, to be honest, along with a couple of folks that
submitted pull requests and BitBucket issues), and it keeps getting bumped
down the todo list by other things. I think we're getting closer to having
something stable enough to document clearly, though - with distribute
merged back into setuptools and pip not far away, the bootstrapping seems
to be the only remaining slightly messy part (since the 3.4 discussions
aren't relevant to the user guide as yet).

As far as your first point goes, I agree the "Installation Tutorial" part
should probably come first and definitely needs more content. I did just
accept a pull request earlier that at least makes that page more than just
a list of headings (see
https://python-packaging-user-guide.readthedocs.org/en/latest/installation_tutorial.html-
courtesy of
https://bitbucket.org/alexjeffburke)