[Distutils] buildout/setuptools/distribute unhelpful error message (0.7.x issue?)

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Sun Jul 14 20:59:18 CEST 2013

On 13/07/2013 17:37, Jason R. Coombs wrote:
> 	It looks like something is trying to install Setuptools 0.7.2, possibly with
> a temporary version of distribute or one that's not visible by default in your
> Python environment.

That would have been buildout's bootstrap.py. Jim, is this fixed in the
latest 1 and 2 bootstrap.pys?

> 	When you get that error message, I suggest you upgrade away from distribute.

The problem is that this is the stable python-pkg-resources in Debian,
so likely Ubuntu to. This problem has the potential to affect many many
users so I hope a sensible story is being developed to deal with it...

> The easiest way to do this if you have distribute installed is to
> 'easy_install -U distribute', which will grab distribute 0.7.3 and install
> setuptools>=0.7.

What's the OS-packages plan for dealing with this? I would consider
doing the above to an OS-installed package to be pretty anti-social...

> 	I hope that helps. Please report back if that doesn't get you going.

I fixed it before you replied, but it was pretty horrific:

aptitude remove python-pkg-resources
aptitude remove python-pkg-resources python-bzrlib python-pygments
aptitude remove python-pkg-resources bzr python-bzrlib python-pygments
aptitude remove python-pkg-resources bzr bzr-svn python-docutils
python-bzrlib python-pygments

...which removed a lot of packages. I'm in a position where I can manage
that, but I'd imagine a "civilian user" could end up in a lot of trouble.

Also, don't forget the weird and crappy setuptools versions that Apple
will have baked in to the various Pythons that ship with the various Mac
OS's.

While this merge is a good thing, it's causing a lot of pain from what
I've heard and experienced.

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk