[Distutils] Q about best practices now (or near future)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Jul 17 20:46:58 CEST 2013

On Jul 17, 2013, at 11:46 AM, Daniel Holth wrote:

>I'd like to see an ambitious person begin uploading wheels that have
>no traditional sdist.

You're not getting rid of sdists are you?

Please note that without source distributions (preferably .tar.gz) your
package will never get distributed on a Linux distro.

Maybe the keyword here is "traditional" though.  In that case, keep in mind
that at least in Debian and its derivatives, we have a lot of tools that make
it pretty trivial to package something setup.py based from PyPI.  If/when that
goes away, it will be more difficult to get new package updates, until the
distro's supporting tools catch up.

-Barry