[Distutils] a plea for backward-compatibility / smooth transitions

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Wed Jul 31 00:51:25 CEST 2013

On Jul 30, 2013, at 6:19 PM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Donald Stufft <donald <at> stufft.io> writes:
>
>> to PyPI. The "snark" in my statements primarily came from that feeling of
>> someone was trying to "shut down" an enhancement.
>
> To be fair, the tone you've taken (which can rub people up the wrong way)
> hasn't just been over long-standing security issues. I've also felt
> uncomfortable with some of your responses relating to the PEP 426
> discussion around the JSON schema for requirements, where there is not the
> same level of urgency, nor valid reason to believe that you're being thwarted
> somehow.

I never meant to claim it was simply over security issues. I'm certainly more
"energetic" about advocating for security issues and they frame the backdrop
for a lot of my feelings with distutils-sig as an adversary rather than an ally . The
simple fact is that every disagreement, or even simple suggestion, is framed
against that feeling leading towards the Me vs Them tone.