[Distutils] Warehouse Migration Plan

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 10:49:46 CEST 2013

On 31 July 2013 05:15, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
[...]

+1. This sounds like a good plan

I do not want a packaging index server to be specified by implementation,
> so as
> the legacy API is ported over to Warehouse a specification will be
> drafted. This
> spec will represent the "promise" that PyPI makes about the API it
> presents to be
> consumed by machines. During the migration any behavior not codified
> inside of
> the spec is considered implementation defined behavior and backwards
> compatibility
> for that behavior will not be promised.

And this is something I wholeheartedly support - having a properly
specified PyPI API will not only help protect against future changes, it
will also ensure that people writing their own index servers have a
well-defined spec to work to.

Paul