[Distutils] Setuptools/Distribute error with 0.7.2

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 03:43:05 CEST 2013

On 10 June 2013 11:37, Jason R. Coombs <jaraco at jaraco.com> wrote:
> I think it would be highly desirable to add support for pip to handle the
> upgrade from distribute 0.6 to 0.7. You’ll note that because 0.7 depends on
> setuptools 0.7 that 0.7 has already been downloaded. Perhaps a shim like you
> propose would work, or it’s also conceivable that distribute 0.7 could
> include a setuptools 0.7 source tree which pip could leverage (but not
> install).
>
> Yes, PEP 439 will be awesome, but I think this important milestone for
> setuptools is also essential to simplify the landscape in order to help
> migrate users in a sustainable way to the new tools, so we’ve got to find a
> way to make it happen for the good of the eco system.

I believe Marcus's point was that if pip is using a vendored copy of
distlib to do the installs (rather than relying on a separately
installed instance of setuptools), then it would be able to
upgrade/downgrade setuptools and distribute in both Python 2 and
Python 3 without any dependency issues.

On the other hand, a near-term special casing of distribute to force
installing/upgrading setuptools 0.7 before upgrading distribute to 0.7
is likely a lower impact change to pip.

Regards,
Nick.