[Distutils] self.introduce(distutils-sig)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 11:13:19 CET 2013

On 19 March 2013 16:21, Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com> wrote:
> As I understand, the issue is the same as between different versions of Python and comes down to not being able to assume a compiler on Windows machines. It's easy to make a source file that will compile for any ABI and platform, but distributing binaries requires each one to be built separately. This doesn't have to be an onerous task - it can be scripted quite easily once you have all the required compilers - but it does take more effort than simply sharing a source file.

Another nice tool would be some sort of Windows build farm, where
projects could submit a sdist and it would build wheels for a list of
supported Python versions and architectures. That wouldn't work for
projects with complex dependencies, obviously, but could cover a
reasonable-sized chunk of PyPI (especially if dependencies could be
added to the farm on request).

And can I have a pony as well, of course... :-)

Paul