[Distutils] self.introduce(distutils-sig)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 16:42:11 CET 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 3:13 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19 March 2013 16:21, Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com> wrote:
>> As I understand, the issue is the same as between different versions of Python and comes down to not being able to assume a compiler on Windows machines. It's easy to make a source file that will compile for any ABI and platform, but distributing binaries requires each one to be built separately. This doesn't have to be an onerous task - it can be scripted quite easily once you have all the required compilers - but it does take more effort than simply sharing a source file.
>
> Another nice tool would be some sort of Windows build farm, where
> projects could submit a sdist and it would build wheels for a list of
> supported Python versions and architectures. That wouldn't work for
> projects with complex dependencies, obviously, but could cover a
> reasonable-sized chunk of PyPI (especially if dependencies could be
> added to the farm on request).
>
> And can I have a pony as well, of course... :-)

This also came up in the discussion over on
http://simeonfranklin.com/blog/2013/mar/17/my-pycon-2013-poster/

I was pointed to an interesting resource:
http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/

(The security issues with that arrangement are non-trivial, but the
convenience factor is huge)

Cheers,
Nick.