[Distutils] A new, experimental packaging tool: distil

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 26 12:29:29 CET 2013

Paul Moore <p.f.moore <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, now it just installs coverage.exe. (No coverage-3.3.exe? Not that
> it bothers me, I don't use the version-specific script wrappers
> anyway).

> So distil (or is it distlib?) uses metadata from www.red-dove.com as
> well as PyPI? That's a bit of a surprise. I presume this is a
> short-term fix, what's the longer-term plan for getting such metadata
> onto PyPI?

Yes, it's a short-term fix because otherwise it would be no better than pip
in the dependency resolution department: download each dist, run egg_info, look
for dependencies, download them, rinse and repeat.

I'd love to get this metadata onto PyPI, but that depends on the PyPI folks +
for the metadata to be accepted as a format. For it to be proven as a useful
format, it needs wider exposure ... so that's what I'm hoping for. No doubt the
wider exposure will lead to improvements. You can think of the red-dove.com
location as just a sort of unofficial early version of what could be on PyPI, if
the relevant people agree it's useful.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip