[Distutils] distil 0.1.1 released

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu May 2 21:21:54 CEST 2013

On 2 May 2013 18:29, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> If you do all your package installs into venvs, then isn't "distil -e
> venvdir install foo" enough? You don't need to activate the venv, just tell
> distil which venv
> to install into via the -e.

It's not that -e is insufficient, rather that *forgetting* the -e doesn't
fail, but rather does the wrong thing silently (and has an unintended
"global" impact). If distil used the "active" Python by default (which it
does on Unix) then this wouldn't concern me so much. But it is a small
point, I'd admit.

> I have implemented path searching in the launcher, but it's currently
> disabled. I can re-enable it (such that the path is only searched if the
> PYLAUNCH_SEARCHPATH environment variable is set) and create a new release
> of the standalone launcher - are you willing to be a guinea pig for this
> functionality?

What I would like is for #!/usr/bin/env python to be treated specially as a
path search (it's the only case on Unix that does a path search after all),
with a fallback of using the default python (like #!python) if there is no
python on $PATH. That completely replicates the Unix behaviour (i.e., the
author's intention, I would assume). I would argue that this does not need
to be conditionally enabled, but given that it deviates from the PEP I can
live with the requirement. Although I'd prefer it if the override was via
the ini file rather than being via an environment variable.

Oh, and can I have a pony? :-)

Seriously, I'd be happy to test this.

Paul