[Distutils] distil 0.1.1 released

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri May 3 00:48:33 CEST 2013

On 3 May 2013 03:09, "Paul Moore" <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I knew that it installed to the per-user site packages directory,
but I never use that so I don't fully understand the implications.

> But nevertheless, for my current usage, distil install foo is 99% of the
time a user error, as I maintain a completely clean system Python, and do
all my package installs in virtualenvs. Maybe the per-user site packages is
something I should be using, and if I do, then I can afford to be less
obsessive about keeping my system Python clean. But until distil became
available, I haven't had the tools to work with the user site packages
directory, so it's new ground for me.

"pip --user" manipulates the per-user directories (and I believe I filed a
ticket a while back suggesting it should migrate to the model distil now
uses).

Cheers,
Nick.

> The one thing that *is* different between Unix and Windows is that on
Unix, the hashbang line of #!/usr/bin/env python will use the currently
active Python (system or virtualenv as appropriate) but under Windows it
will always use the system Python (2 or 3 depending on py.ini). Maybe the
launcher should treat /sur/bin/env python differently, and try looking on
PATH before using the default in that case, but that's not how it works,
sadly (indeed, there's no way of getting that behaviour with the current
launcher). I can imagine having a virtualenv active and running distil
install foo and being surprised that the install doesn't go to the active
virtualenv.

> Paul
>

> On 2 May 2013 17:11, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> > From: Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com>
>> >One thing that does slightly bother me. If distil is invoked without
the -p or -e option, it defaults to installing into the system Python.

>> That's not supposed to happen - it's supposed to install to the user
site (PEP 370 Per user site-packages directory) unless you specify
--system. It will use the system Python unless you specify -p. So:

>> distil install xyz should install xyz to the per-user site-packages
using the default Python, say 2.7.
>> distil -p python3.2 install xyz should install xyz to the per-user
site-packages, using Python 3.2.

>> Specifying --system should install to the system-wide Python
site-packages for the running Python.