[Distutils] Continuous Deployment Style Build System for Python (Requesting Feedback)

James Carpenter nawkboy at gmail.com
Fri May 17 00:55:20 CEST 2013

I haven't read PEP 426, but one of the things I would keep in mind is to
consider moving to or additionally supporting a Maven style repository
layout. It isn't that a Maven layout is necessary better than layout X. It
is just that the Maven artifact repository managers are far more mature
than anything we saw in PyPI land and probably will be for years to come.
https://github.com/teamfruit/defend_against_fruit/wiki/Survey-of-Existing-PyPI-Implementations

This is probably largely orthogonal to how your dependency meta-data is
maintained. The only real constraint would be to ensure the meta-data file
is published alongside the artifact (similar to ivy.xml or pom.xml files).
Otherwise, the only efficient way to navigate the meta-data is to bake the
functionality into the repository and expose a web service. That isn't
necessary wrong in theory, but in practice it would mean you couldn't just
use a mature Maven derived repository manager like Nexus, Artifactory, or
Archiva. In both Maven and Ivy the repository can be rather stupid since
the dependency resolution mechanisms are baked into the build tool instead
of the repository.