[Distutils] Using Scripts\foo.exe on a python which doesn't have Distribute installed?

Matt Wilkie maphew at gmail.com
Thu May 23 02:12:31 CEST 2013

Hi folks,

*I've been up one side of the internet and down the other, and haven't seen
this question discussed before, but as has often been the case perhaps it's
just my search-fu which is weak, in which case, please kindly direct me to
the answer or documentation where I can find it. Thanks :)*

How to distribute a usable python program to a python which doesn't have
Distribute installed?

I've created a Windows Binary installer using python setup.py bdist_wininst.
The setup.py contains a console script entry point, so that a Windows .exe
file is created and placed in %python%\Scripts on the destination machine,
as per Automatic Script
Creation<http://pythonhosted.org/distribute/setuptools.html#automatic-script-creation>
.

However running the installed script on a machine with a virgin python
install yields:

D:\Py3.2.5> scripts\foo.exeTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:\Py3.2.5\scripts\foo-script.py", line 5, in <module>
    from pkg_resources import load_entry_pointImportError: No module
named pkg_resources

No module named
pkg_resources<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7446187/no-module-named-pkg-resources>tells
me this error is because
Distribute <http://pythonhosted.org/distribute/index.html> is not installed.

How do I get my installer to include Distribute so I don't have to tell our
users *"before you install our program you have to go install this other
program"*?

thanks in advance for your time,

-matt