[Distutils] Using Scripts\foo.exe on a python which doesn't have Distribute installed?

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu May 23 07:22:56 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 8:12 PM, Matt Wilkie <maphew at gmail.com> wrote:
> How do I get my installer to include Distribute so I don't have to tell our
> users "before you install our program you have to go install this other
> program"?

Setuptools (which Distribute is based on) is designed for shipping
libraries, not applications; it's developer installer, not primarily
an end-user installer for applications.  So you probably should be
using py2exe instead.

Alternatively, you can bundle a copy of pkg_resources.py, or use a
script that doesn't depend on entry points, or copy your script to
"foo-script.py" alongside the .exe launcher, and manually include
those two files as scripts (not using entry points) in your setup()
definition.

Any of these approaches will solve the problem; it's mostly a matter
of your preferences or other requirements.