[Distutils] Using Scripts\foo.exe on a python which doesn't have Distribute installed?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat May 25 10:58:44 CEST 2013

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Matt Wilkie <maphew at gmail.com> wrote:
> That looks very interesting Nick!
>
> Do you know of any small or smallish programs using this I could
> inspect and learn from? Most of the references I find surround
> pyinstaller it's specfile format.

The zipfile execution feature was added primarily as a tool for
internal distribution within large Python-using organisations, so I'm
not aware of any good examples on the public internet (I assume it's
seeing some use inside Google, as that's where the idea originated).

Internet distribution tends to use either py2exe and its ilk (because
the distributor can't assume a Python interpreter on the destination
system) or else give users instructions on installing and using pip or
easy_install (because they want their instructions to work across at
least the main three platforms). Using pip or easy_install to do the
installation also has the side effect of getting pkg_resources onto
the target system, since some features of that ecosystem (like entry
points) require it.

Being able to assume the presence of Python on the target system but
*not* the presence of pkg_resources is a fairly idiosyncratic case,
which is why you haven't been able to find much specific info on
handling it.

Cheers,
Nick.