[Distutils] Using Scripts\foo.exe on a python which doesn't have Distribute installed?

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat May 25 15:16:09 CEST 2013

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 4:06 AM, Matt Wilkie <maphew at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>... or use a script that doesn't depend on entry points
>
> not desirable, as we like the .exe entry points creates and don't want
> to use a batch file (the "are you sure you want to quit?" message on
> ctrl-c is annoying)
>
>>>, or copy your script to
>>> "foo-script.py" alongside the .exe launcher, and manually include
>>> those two files as scripts (not using entry points) in your setup()
>>> definition.
>
> Would you please expand on this? The .exe launcher seems to depend on
> entry points, or I'm doing something wrong (entirely likely).

The foo.exe launcher doesn't use the entry point, all it does is run
an adjacent foo-script.py.  You can put anything you want in
foo-script.py adjacent to that .exe, and it'll run.

As for different versions of pkg_resources on sys.path, Python always
puts the directory containing the script first.  So if there's a
pkg_resources.py adjacent to the script, that will take precedence
over any other copy.