[Distutils] Good news everyone, PyPI is behind a CDN

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue May 28 14:26:04 CEST 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> Moving to a CDN has been discussed before on either catalog-sig or
> distutils-sig (Can't recall which offhand).
>
> Weekly status updates were posted to the infrastructure list as well as the
> communication between us and Fastly as we ironed out SSL issues.
>
> The mirroring issue pre-invalidation was quickly corrected. We now
> invalidate and we are looking at a window that is at most a few seconds
> large.

One of the things I (successfully) advocated for at PyCon US was to
open up the PEP process to cover things where python-dev aren't
directly involved, but we need an official avenue for publication of
significant changes in the Python ecosystem (with my main aim being to
empower distutils-sig as a place where we could actually making final
decisions about the evolution of the packaging ecosystem).

Given that, an Informational PEP with Discussion-To set to
infrastructure-sig and Noah as BDFL-Delegate would be an eminently
suitable way of keeping PyPI users and mirror operators that *aren't*
following infrastructure-sig informed of upcoming changes that may
impact the operation of PyPI clients.

infrastructure-sig has historically just been for backend hosting
details, without significant impact to *client* facing behaviour -
while I think it's fine to change that, it's also understandable that
most developers of PyPI clients wouldn't be aware of upcoming changes
that have only been discussed in detail on that list.

So, as Holger said, great work and thanks for your efforts, but good
communication does matter with these things. People don't like
surprises, even well intentioned ones :)

Cheers,
Nick.