[Distutils] Good news everyone, PyPI is behind a CDN

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Tue May 28 14:47:19 CEST 2013

On May 28, 2013, at 8:26 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>> Moving to a CDN has been discussed before on either catalog-sig or
>> distutils-sig (Can't recall which offhand).
>>
>> Weekly status updates were posted to the infrastructure list as well as the
>> communication between us and Fastly as we ironed out SSL issues.
>>
>> The mirroring issue pre-invalidation was quickly corrected. We now
>> invalidate and we are looking at a window that is at most a few seconds
>> large.
>
> One of the things I (successfully) advocated for at PyCon US was to
> open up the PEP process to cover things where python-dev aren't
> directly involved, but we need an official avenue for publication of
> significant changes in the Python ecosystem (with my main aim being to
> empower distutils-sig as a place where we could actually making final
> decisions about the evolution of the packaging ecosystem).
>
> Given that, an Informational PEP with Discussion-To set to
> infrastructure-sig and Noah as BDFL-Delegate would be an eminently
> suitable way of keeping PyPI users and mirror operators that *aren't*
> following infrastructure-sig informed of upcoming changes that may
> impact the operation of PyPI clients.
>
> infrastructure-sig has historically just been for backend hosting
> details, without significant impact to *client* facing behaviour -
> while I think it's fine to change that, it's also understandable that
> most developers of PyPI clients wouldn't be aware of upcoming changes
> that have only been discussed in detail on that list.

It is only a significant change if you make invalid assumptions about HTTP and consistent state between two requests.

If you want to rely on that then let's talk about a system where we can reliably promise that.

> So, as Holger said, great work and thanks for your efforts, but good
> communication does matter with these things. People don't like
> surprises, even well intentioned ones :)

Point taken. In the future ill post any infrastructure upgrades I'm involved in not only to the infrastructure list but also to distutils sig.