[Distutils] Draft PEP for JSON based metadata published

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Wed May 29 21:15:25 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 21:36 +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> After preliminary reviews by Donald and Daniel, I have now pushed the
>> first complete draft of the JSON-based metadata 2.0 proposal to
>> python.org
>>
>> PEP 426 (metadata 2.0): http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0426/
>
> After a first quick read i am wondering if i missed something
> with respect to test tools.  There are some fields which specify
> dependencies required for running tests, but there is nothing that
> would tell which test runner to use, which test command to invoke,
> or am i missing something?
>
> Basically i am wondering how PEP426 could be useful/used by tox.
> best,

The first thing we might do is to have setuptools expose its
test_suite argument as "extensions" : { "setuptools": { "test_suite":
"callable.name" } }.

I think we need the next version of the metadata or sdist 2.0 to
really do a better job than just running "setup.py test"; right now
the tests usually only make sense in the context of an unpacked sdist.
Input appreciated.