[Distutils] Round 6 - PEP 440 - Version Identification and Dependency Specification Version

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Mon Aug 11 17:22:45 CEST 2014

> On Aug 11, 2014, at 11:11 AM, Marcus Smith <qwcode at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Public index servers SHOULD NOT allow the use of local version identifiers for uploaded distributions.
>
> I'm thinking this should just say "PyPI" and not "Public" broadly.
> The point is for local versions not to confused with the one authoritative upstream version sequence, not that it couldn't be "public".
> I can imagine locally versioned distributions needing to be distributed or available "publicly" (e.g. for a specific platform or system).
> Considering the recommendation to use the "python.integrator" extension, which is generally about "downstream" modification and redistribution, it seems inconsistent to say that this redistribution couldn't be public.

We actually have a definition for Public Index Server, It’s ""Public index
servers" are index servers which allow distribution uploads from untrusted third
parties. The Python Package Index [3] is a public index server.”. This is
defined in PEP 426.

But thinking about it, that doesn't particularly match it either, because
something like binstar allows this, but should allow local versions.

---
Donald Stufft