[Distutils] Round 6 - PEP 440 - Version Identification and Dependency Specification Version

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 00:04:42 CEST 2014

On 12 Aug 2014 01:23, "Donald Stufft" <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

>> On Aug 11, 2014, at 11:11 AM, Marcus Smith <qwcode at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Public index servers SHOULD NOT allow the use of local version
identifiers for uploaded distributions.

>> I'm thinking this should just say "PyPI" and not "Public" broadly.
>> The point is for local versions not to confused with the one
authoritative upstream version sequence, not that it couldn't be "public".
>> I can imagine locally versioned distributions needing to be distributed
or available "publicly" (e.g. for a specific platform or system).
>> Considering the recommendation to use the "python.integrator" extension,
which is generally about "downstream" modification and redistribution, it
seems inconsistent to say that this redistribution couldn't be public.

> We actually have a definition for Public Index Server, It’s ""Public index
> servers" are index servers which allow distribution uploads from
untrusted third
> parties. The Python Package Index [3] is a public index server.”. This is
> defined in PEP 426.
>
> But thinking about it, that doesn't particularly match it either, because
> something like binstar allows this, but should allow local versions.

In this particular case, I think Marcus is right - the restriction is
specific to PyPI as the keeper of the authoritative shared namespace,
rather than applying to public index servers in general.

Cheers,
Nick.