[Distutils] Deleting legacy contents from core install guide?

Chris Jerdonek chris.jerdonek at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 00:11:39 CET 2014

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 2:50 PM, Marcus Smith <qwcode at gmail.com> wrote:

>> By the way, I noticed that PUG's "Installation & Packaging Tutorial"
>> [1] is one section.  Shouldn't those be separate tutorials?  IIRC that
>> information was in separate sections before (one for installing and
>> one for packaging).
>

> that's gone back and forth a bit.  at first it was 2 separate tutorials,
> then 2 tutorials and quickstart, then just a quickstart, and I just recently
> re-labeled the quickstart as a "tutorial" after a dicussion on IRC, where it
> seemed odd to have a "quickstart" without a more detailed tutorial later.
> the tutorial is still developing.  maybe it could be split into 2 pages
> later.   I'm more concerned with actually getting content now.

Yeah, that history still shows.  The first section called "Install the
Tools" is only about installing the tools needed for installation.
Later sections have you installing other "tools" like wheel and twine
when you get to the parts about packaging.  There is also no clear
separation between when the page switches from the installation parts
to the packaging parts (e.g. so users interested only in installing
can see more immediately what they need to be reading).

--Chris