[Distutils] pip on windows experience

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 19:52:22 CET 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Oscar Benjamin
<oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 12:16:02PM +0000, Paul Moore wrote:
> >
> > The official numpy installer uses some complex magic to select the
> > right binaries based on your CPU, and this means that the official
> > numpy "superpack" wininst files don't convert (at least I don't think
> > they do, it's a while since I tried).
>
> It's probably worth noting that numpy are toying around with wheels and
> have uploaded a number of them to PyPI for testing:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/wheels_to_test/
>
> Currently there are only OSX wheels there (excluding the puer Python
> ones) and they're not available on PyPI. I assume that they're waiting
> for a solution for the Windows installer (a post-install script for
> wheels). That would give a lot more impetus to put wheels up on PyPI.

Indeed. We discussed just picking the SSE2 or SSE3 build and putting that
up as a wheel, but that was deemed a not so great idea:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.numeric.general/56072

The Sourceforge OSX wheels are presumably not getting that much use
> right now. The OSX-specific numpy wheel has been downloaded 4 times in
> the last week: twice on Windows and twice on Linux!

Some feedback from the people who did try those wheels would help. I asked
for that on the numpy list after creating them, but didn't get much. So I
haven't been in a hurry to move them over to PyPi.

Ralf