[Distutils] Using Wheel with zipimport

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 14:46:07 CET 2014

On 29 January 2014 23:34, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> If I'm wrong, then by all means show me where it was discussed so I can admit
> I was wrong.

You have the burden of proof backwards there. You're the one asking me
to break backwards compatibility, and to let people continue to
believe wheels are only a partial replacement for eggs - it's up to
you to make the case that waiting until wheel 1.1 (which, again, has
nobody committed to writing it and a completely unspecified timeline)
is a superior approach to clarifying something I thought was already
documented when I accepted the PEP (and is certainly inherent in the
design of the format).

The zipimport compatibility didn't need to be discussed much because
it was there in Daniel's original wheel design - there was never any
proposal to use a zipimport *incompatible* approach, so nobody had to
campaign in favour of zipimport compatibility.

Cheers,
Nick.