[Distutils] pypi suggestion

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 3 17:24:39 CEST 2014

----- Original Message -----

From: Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com>

> "Most depended on", but that's currently a pain to extract. Making it
> easier to do that kind of analysis is actually one of my goals for
> metadata 2.0.

Here's my list of the top 25, based on the PyPI metadata that I maintain (not rigorously tested, but seems plausible):

6265:setuptools
2371:django
2178:requests
1007:zope.interface
1003:numpy
873:pyyaml
860:lxml
784:simplejson
758:zope.component
734:six
679:flask
678:nose
677:argparse
633:sqlalchemy
569:jinja2
551:python-dateutil
471:zope.schema
456:sphinx
433:pytz
427:mock
414:scipy
405:distribute
396:zc.buildout
364:docopt
363:pil

The number against each dependency represents the number of distinct PyPI projects which list the dependency as a run-time requirement (:run: or :meta:).

It's possible that some projects declare things as run-time dependencies when they really mean build-time: I'm not sure that there are really over 400 projects which are Sphinx plugins / extensions.

Just throwing this out there as it may be of interest.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip