[Distutils] pypi suggestion

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 20:35:55 CEST 2014

On 3 June 2014 16:24, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> It's possible that some projects declare things as run-time dependencies when they really mean build-time: I'm not sure that there are really over 400 projects which are Sphinx plugins / extensions.

zc.buildout seems like an unusual runtime dependency, but as you say
that's more likely incorrect metadata than anything else (and even as
a build-time dependency it's a measure of zc.buildout's popularity)

Also, how does this measure optional dependencies? Something like
html5lib can use lxml if it's present, but works without it. (That's
of interest because lxml is a pain to build and would benefit from
wheels, so anything that depends on it would also benefit if lxml
wheels were available).

> Just throwing this out there as it may be of interest.

Definitely. Interesting (not surprising, though) that pyyaml is so
high, and that docopt is on there. Also notable that pil is in there.
(Does your data distinguish pil and pillow? I understood the common
view these days was to use pillow in place of pil).

Paul