[Distutils] Call for information - What assumptions can I make about Unix users' access to Windows?

Kevin Horn kevin.horn at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 19:39:10 CET 2014

Regarding remote access to windows machines, there are several options:

- Remote powershell (not my area, so not sure how viable this is)
- Use pexec from sysinternals to run cmd.exe remotely (probably on local
network only, and only from other windows machines, so probably not that
helpful)
- Windows comes with a telnet server (obviously not very secure, but you
could use stunnel/vpn or similar to help here)
- WinRM (and pywinrm as has been mentioned).  Note that vagrant either does
or will soon support talking to Windows VMs using this method.
- SSH: it is possible to set up an ssh server to work on Windows, but
is...non-trivial (i.e. hard) and many caveats apply. See freesshd or KpyM.

There are also some GUI options:
- RDP
- the venerable VNC

Obvioiusly the GUI options are more difficult to automate.

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 6:28 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9 November 2014 12:21, Tim Golden <mail at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
> > I think the OP was speaking not so much about having the technical
> > wherewithal to use RDP but rather about the experience of RDP vs SSH.
>
> That was certainly my understanding. The key issue for me is to try to
> make the process of just running "pip wheel myproject" or "pip wheel
> git+https://github.com/me/myproject" as simple and painless as
> possible for people without Windows experience.
>
> That's somewhat optimistic, because if the command fails with an
> error, the developer is still going to need to work out how to debug
> why the code isn't portable, etc. But that's a whole different
> situation, and well out of scope.
>
> > The
> > difficulty is that Windows doesn't really "think" in ssh. I believe there
> > are (third-party) mechanisms to provide ssh-like access, but I don't know
> > how successful they really are.
>
> Yeah, that's where things like cygwin probably won't work well,
> because you don't get the "normal" Windows environment. But it might
> be possible - after all, see above - it's really only a few simple
> commands we need to support.
>
> Paul

Kevin Horn