[Distutils] The Simple API - What URLs are "supported"

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Thu Sep 18 09:54:30 CEST 2014

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 17:48 +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> What about an approach where pip first tries the canonical name, and if
> that fails, tries the exact given name?
>
> Seems to me like that should handle legacy mirrors without the big download.

The download could still happen, however, and then you'd have made three
requests (especially for non-existing projects).  If we introduce a
"simple-protocol-api" version, we can avoid all this trying around and
provide correct efficient behaviour when using new versions of
tools/servers.

best,
holger