[Distutils] Beyond wheels 1.0: helping downstream, FHS and more

Kevin Horn kevin.horn at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 05:57:11 CEST 2015

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 4:19 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 April 2015 at 22:02, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
>
> Personally, I'm not a fan of auto-installing, so I'd hope for
> something more like pip would fail to install if a required extension
> were missing. The user would then install the extension and redo the
> install. But that may be a minority opinion - it's a bit like
> setup_requires in principle, and people seem to prefer that to be
> auto-installed.

(lurker surfaces)

I'm with Paul on this one.  It seems to me that auto-installing the
extension would destroy most of the advantages of distributing the
extensions separately.

I _might_ not hate it if pip prompted the user and _then_ installed, but
then again, I might.

(lurker sinks back into the depths)

--
Kevin Horn