[Distutils] Working toward Linux wheel support

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 20:37:44 CEST 2015

On 20 July 2015 at 18:37, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> sure -- but isn't that use-case already supported by wheel -- define your
> own wheelhouse that has the ABI you know you need, and point pip to it.

I presume the issue is wanting to have a single shared wheelhouse for
a (presumably limited) number of platforms. So being able to specify a
(completely arbitrary) local platform name at build and install time
sounds like a viable option.

BUT - we have someone offering a solution that solves at least part of
the problem, sufficient for their needs and a step forward from where
we are. This is great news, as wheel support for Linux has always been
stalled before (for whatever reason). So thank you to Nate for his
work, and let's look to how we can accept it and build on it in the
future.

Unfortunately, I don't have any Linux knowledge in this area, so I
can't offer any useful advice on the questions Nate asks. But
hopefully some people on this list can.

Paul