[Distutils] Getting more momentum for pip

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 19:14:55 CET 2015

On 5 March 2015 at 17:16, Marcus Smith <qwcode at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I guess my suggestions boil down to:
>>

>> - Add more humans
>> - Add more money to make humans more efficient
>> - Add more computer automation
>

> maybe agree to always maintain < X open issues and < Y open PRs, before
> adding features.
> where x can vary as needed, but for starters, x=250, and y=25 sounds
> reasonable.
> this would:
>   - force more work on issue and PR backlog
>   - force making the tough decisions on whether something is realistically
> going to be worked on and closing it
>   - force closing issues that are not getting the responses needed to
> actually work the problem.
>   - would more likely cycle in new folks to become committers.

That implies closing 183 issues and 65 PRs from where we are now. And
when you say "adding features" presumably that means somehow
forbidding people (core devs? we can't forbid anyone else...) from
creating new PRs until we're below the limit.

In general, I don't think it's practical in a volunteer-based project,
to "force" people to hit specific targets.

Having said that, though, more people doing tracker gardening would be
a good thing - if anyone (core dev or not) wants to go through doing
triage on PRs and issues and closing ones that can be closed, getting
self-contained test cases for bugs, doing code reviews on PRs, etc,
that would be great.

Paul