[Distutils] Getting more momentum for pip

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu Mar 5 20:37:06 CET 2015

> On Mar 5, 2015, at 2:32 PM, Marc Abramowitz <msabramo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > * Refactoring pip to better encapsulate and separate concerns, creating boundaries between different parts
>
> These of course are a drop in the bucket of what could be done:
>
> - https://github.com/pypa/pip/pull/2404 <https://github.com/pypa/pip/pull/2404>
> - https://github.com/pypa/pip/pull/2410 <https://github.com/pypa/pip/pull/2410>
> - https://github.com/pypa/pip/pull/2411 <https://github.com/pypa/pip/pull/2411>
>
> Now probably `install` is the one that would add the most value and I briefly thought of doing that but then I thought to myself that there are so many open PRs already and one for `install` would probably break a whole bunch of them. Also I don't want to have too many open ones because I just don't like having too many open loops.

To be honest, I didn’t so much mean the commands themselves. It’s a minor improvement but it’s largely shuffling deck chairs on the titanic in my opinion. It doesn’t meaningfully make things cleaner. The things I’m talking about are more about the internals of pip, pip.index, pip.download, pip.req.*, etc. These are the “core” parts of pip and that code is horrible and messy and actually figuring out how to clean that up would be a major big deal.

---
Donald Stufft