[Distutils] Getting more momentum for pip

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 20:38:06 CET 2015

On 5 March 2015 at 19:32, Marc Abramowitz <msabramo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> * Refactoring pip to better encapsulate and separate concerns, creating
>> boundaries between different parts
>
> These of course are a drop in the bucket of what could be done:
>
> - https://github.com/pypa/pip/pull/2404
> - https://github.com/pypa/pip/pull/2410
> - https://github.com/pypa/pip/pull/2411
>
> Now probably `install` is the one that would add the most value and I
> briefly thought of doing that but then I thought to myself that there are so
> many open PRs already and one for `install` would probably break a whole
> bunch of them. Also I don't want to have too many open ones because I just
> don't like having too many open loops.

Much more important (and I think what Donald was probably referring
to) is the internal refactorings - properly encapsulating the finder,
the various requirement objects, making "build from source" and
"install from wheel" into clearly defined components.

Personally, while I don't think there's anything particularly *wrong*
your 3 PRs mentioned above, my feeling is that they don't really add
much. Given that nothing other than the pip code itself is supposed to
use pip internal functions at this point in time, there's nobody
who'll really gain from them.

Paul