[Distutils] [Numpy-discussion] Proposal: stop supporting 'setup.py install'; start requiring 'pip install .' instead

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 08:02:56 EST 2015

On 7 November 2015 at 01:26, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
<chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> So what IS supposed to be used in the development workflow? The new
> mythical build system?

Fair question. Unfortunately, the answer is honestly that there's no
simple answer - pip is not a bad option, but it's not its core use
case so there are some rough edges. I'd argue that the best way to use
pip is with pip install -e, but others in this thread have said that
doesn't suit their workflow, which is fine. I don't know of any other
really good options, though.

I think it would be good to see if we can ensure pip is useful for
this use case as well, all I was pointing out was that people
shouldn't assume that it "should" work right now, and that changing it
to work might involve some trade-offs that we don't want to make, if
it compromises the core functionality of installing packages.

Paul