[Distutils] Towards a simple and standard sdist format that isn't intertwined with distutils

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 15:52:27 CEST 2015

On 2 October 2015 at 12:58, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> The first thing that immediately stood out to me, is that it's recommending
> that downstream redistributors like Debian, Fedora, etc utilize Wheels
> instead
> of the sdist to build their packages from. However, that is not really
> going to
> fly with most (all?) of the downstream redistributors.

I can't now find that it in the draft text, but I don't think this is a
problem. This proposal means there's a standardised way to turn a source
tree into wheels. So downstream distributors can download an sdist - or
even a tarball of a VCS tag, if they're being strict about it - build
wheels from that using the config in this proposal, and then transform the
wheels into their own package format.

> Longer term, I think the answer is sdist 2.0 which has proper metadata
inside of it (name, version, dependencies, etc) but which also includes a
hook like this PEP has to specify the build system

I hadn't heard of this before - is it something that's being worked on?

Thanks,
Thomas