[Distutils] Where should I put tests when packaging python modules?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Oct 6 09:38:33 CEST 2015

Thomas Güttler <guettliml at thomas-guettler.de> writes:

> Where should I put tests when packaging python modules?

When packaging them? The same place they go when not packaging them :-)

> I want a "cowpath", an "obvious way"

For me, the obvious way is to have:

> outside the module like this:
>  https://github.com/pypa/sampleproject/tree/master/tests

and have ‘setup.py’ ensure the tests are distributed with the source
package, but not installed.

> I think there is no need to hurry. Let's wait one week, and then check
> which one is preferred.

More important than which is preferred, we should use the one which is
best (regardless how popular it may be).

So instead of just hearing votes, we should examine reasoned argument in
favour of good options.

--
 \        “Visitors are expected to complain at the office between the |
  `\                     hours of 9 and 11 a.m. daily.” —hotel, Athens |