[Distutils] Where should I put tests when packaging python modules?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Oct 7 21:14:58 CEST 2015

On Oct 07, 2015, at 09:46 AM, Ben Finney wrote:

>So “I'm a big fan of putting tests inside the [Python] package
>[directory]” can't be motivated by “Having the tests there in the
>installed package”. The two aren't related, AFAICT.

It makes it easier for sure.  When the tests are inside the package, nothing
special has to be done; you just install the package and the tests
subdirectories come along for the ride.  If the tests are outside the package
then you first have to figure out where they're going to go when they're
installed, and then do something special to get them there.

Cheers,
-Barry