[Distutils] Where should I put tests when packaging python modules?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Oct 7 00:46:35 CEST 2015

Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> writes:

> On Oct 07, 2015, at 08:54 AM, Ben Finney wrote:
>
> >Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> writes:
> >
> >> I'm a big fan of putting the tests inside the package. I've often
> >> looked at a package's tests to get a better understanding of something
> >> that was unclear for the documentation, or didn't work the way I
> >> expected. Having the tests there in the installed package makes it
> >> easier to refer to.
> >
> >That doesn't follow, or I'm not understanding you.
> >[…]
> >
> >Are you arguing the separate point of whether tests should be
> >*installed* with the package?
>
> Yes.  We've had this conversation before in the context of Debian package
> sponsorship.  I know and respect that you disagree.

Okay. That's quite an orthogonal dimension, though, to the *relative
location* of tests within the source tree.

So “I'm a big fan of putting tests inside the [Python] package
[directory]” can't be motivated by “Having the tests there in the
installed package”. The two aren't related, AFAICT.

--
 \            “There was a point to this story, but it has temporarily |
  `\                    escaped the chronicler's mind.” —Douglas Adams |