[Distutils] tests location: Use case: new comers and docs.

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Oct 7 08:11:47 CEST 2015

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 10:38 PM, Thomas Güttler <
guettliml at thomas-guettler.de> wrote:

> Yes, there is not generic "one right way here".
>
> Yes, let's consider individual use cases.
>
> My use case are the docs for new comers:
>
>  - https://github.com/pypa/sampleproject
>  - https://packaging.python.org/en/latest/distributing/
>
> That's why started the thread.

unfortunately, that isn't  a use-case -- every newcomer has a different use
case.

I was happy to see this thread, because I thought maybe I"d learn what i
should teach my students - new to python.

But alas - there clearly really is no consensus.

What i've told newbies in the past is somethig like:

"""
if you want your user to be able to install you package, and then run
something like:

import my_package
my_package.test()

then put your tests inside the package.

If you are fine with only being able to run the tests from the source tree
-- then put your tests outside the package.
"""

but really, newbies have no idea how to make this decsion.

Maybe we could come up with a decision tree for this -- some guidance for
knowing what to do, when?

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov