[Distutils] Where should I put tests when packaging python modules?

Ionel Cristian Mărieș contact at ionelmc.ro
Wed Oct 7 15:49:52 CEST 2015

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Wes Turner <wes.turner at gmail.com> wrote:

> > 2. The "test" command will install the "test_requires" dependencies as
> eggs. You will end up with multiple versions of the same eggs right in your
> source checkout.
>
> * is there no way around this?
> * is this required / spec'd / fixable?

​It's not that bad now, recent setuptools put the eggs in a ".eggs" dir -
so it's not as messy as before. ​

> > 3. The "test" command will install the "test_requires" dependencies with
> easy_install. That means wheels cannot be used.
>
> would it be possible to add this to wheel?

It's up to the maintainers of wheel/setuptools to figure this one out (or
not) I think. Either way, you should search through the distutils-sig
archives for clues/intentions, eg:
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2014-December/thread.html#25482

​

Thanks,