[Distutils] Towards a simple and standard sdist format that isn't intertwined with distutils

Ionel Cristian Mărieș contact at ionelmc.ro
Thu Oct 8 16:16:07 CEST 2015

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 4:51 PM, Oscar Benjamin <oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It depends. If you're using numpy from pure Python code the difference
> between mkl and otherblas is probably irrelevant. So in most cases
> you'd want to be able to depend just on "numpy" but in some cases
> you'd need to be more specific. Perhaps you could solve that with
> "provides"...
>
> Really though it's probably best to keep the set of binaries on PyPI
> internally consistent and not try to represent everything. My point
> earlier was that regardless of what goes on PyPI as the official numpy
> wheel there will be many people using the numpy code in other ways. If
> pip is not the only consumer of a source release then it's not really
> reasonable to dictate (and redesign in a less human-friendly way) its
> layout purely for pip's benefit.

​Yes indeed. But then shouldn't we talk about proper dependency resolution,
compatible releases, meta packages and stuff like that? Unless I completely
misunderstood the discussion here (quite probable :-) then this whole
multiple source distributions idea is more like a workaround.

Thanks,
-- Ionel Cristian Mărieș, http://blog.ionelmc.ro