[Distutils] Towards a simple and standard sdist format that isn't intertwined with distutils

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 16:43:44 CEST 2015

On Oct 8, 2015 9:23 AM, "Ionel Cristian Mărieș" <contact at ionelmc.ro> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 4:51 PM, Oscar Benjamin <oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> It depends. If you're using numpy from pure Python code the difference
>> between mkl and otherblas is probably irrelevant. So in most cases
>> you'd want to be able to depend just on "numpy" but in some cases
>> you'd need to be more specific. Perhaps you could solve that with
>> "provides"...
>>
>> Really though it's probably best to keep the set of binaries on PyPI
>> internally consistent and not try to represent everything. My point
>> earlier was that regardless of what goes on PyPI as the official numpy
>> wheel there will be many people using the numpy code in other ways. If
>> pip is not the only consumer of a source release then it's not really
>> reasonable to dictate (and redesign in a less human-friendly way) its
>> layout purely for pip's benefit.
>

> ​Yes indeed. But then shouldn't we talk about proper dependency
resolution, compatible releases, meta packages and stuff like that? Unless
I completely misunderstood the discussion here (quite probable :-) then
this whole multiple source distributions idea is more like a workaround.

so,
because install_requires and extras_require are computed at [egg-info] time,
an sdist['s metadata] is/can/maybe technically different on different
platforms, no?

because of things like

if sys.platform in [...]:
    INSTALL_REQUIRES.extend([...])