[Distutils] Towards a simple and standard sdist format that isn't intertwined with distutils

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Fri Oct 9 20:48:05 CEST 2015

On 10/09/2015 12:44 PM, Oscar Benjamin wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 19:35 Carl Meyer <carl at oddbird.net
> <mailto:carl at oddbird.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/09/2015 12:28 PM, Oscar Benjamin wrote:
>     > Why would it need dynamic metadata for the windows matplotlib wheel to
>     > have different metadata from the OSX matplotlib wheel? The platform
>     > Windows/OSX is static and each wheel declares its own dependencies
>     > statically but differently. Am I missing something?
>
>     I didn't say that required dynamic metadata (wheel metadata is already
>     static). I just said that it works fine currently, and that it becomes
>     an open question with the move towards static metadata in both source
>     and binary releases, because we have to answer questions like "what
>     information beyond just package/version makes up a complete node in a
>     dependency graph."
>

> Assuming it's tied to the operating system it doesn't matter surely.
> When pip runs on Windows it can ignore dependencies that apply to other
> platforms so I don't see how this case makes it more complex.

Sure. "Assuming it's tied to the operating system" is an assumption that
can't be made here, though, if I understand the examples that have
already been given repeatedly regarding numpy and BLAS-linking.

If "OS" were actually sufficient to distinguish all cases, then the
existing wheel platform tags would already be an adequate solution to
this problem.

Carl