[Distutils] Towards a simple and standard sdist format that isn't intertwined with distutils

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Fri Oct 9 20:53:08 CEST 2015

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 11:44 AM, Oscar Benjamin <oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Assuming it's tied to the operating system it doesn't matter surely. When
> pip runs on Windows it can ignore dependencies that apply to other
> platforms so I don't see how this case makes it more complex.

does pip currently support platfrom-specific dependencies? That would solve
part of the problem.

but yes, there are dependencies that are a function of how the wheel was
built, beyond what platform it is on.

So those could be static in binary wheel, but not static in the sdist (or
source wheel, or...)

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov