[Distutils] Meeting info re: sdists

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 04:04:16 CEST 2015

On Oct 13, 2015 7:50 PM, "Robert Collins" <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:

> On 14 October 2015 at 12:39, Wes Turner <wes.turner at gmail.com> wrote:

> > (.cfg | .yml) > JSONLD
> >
> > Should these build settings all be included in e.g. PEP 426 + JSONLD
> > metadata.jsonld?
> > - for backward compat, there would then be both metadata.json and
> > metadata.jsonld (because of normative JSONLD form and PEP 426+)
>
> I'm sorry, I have literally no idea what you're talking about. I know
> you have a thing about JSONLD, but I don't understand how or why it is
> relevant to these design discussions, which are 99% fine tuning
> backwards/forwards compat needs around the existing Python code thats
> out there and will be interacting with what we produce.
>
> If you want to shift the needle here and get discussions talking about
> things with JSONLD rather than PEP-426 (or some future leaner and less
> enterprisy version) ... then for me at least, I need more clear
> communication, less assumption that I have *any* overlap with where
> you're coming from, and at least some connection to the problems we're
> working on in your mails.
>
> > .cfg (ConfigParse): (section, key, value)
> >
> > .yml (YAML lib xyz): easily maps to JSONLD (which always maps to an RDF
> > triple graph (of linked typed packages with attributes, generated from
> > [...]))
>
> Still not following.

* egg-info and dist-info should generate JSONLD

* sdist, bdist, and wheel should update **append to** the same JSONLD
metadata document

* if there are additional parameters which would be necessary to reproduce
a package(s), those should be included in the package metadata

... the *provenance* of these build artifacts would then be represented in
the package metadata document

is this specific to sdist? nope, sorry, now is the time.