[Distutils] Meeting info re: sdists

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Oct 14 04:40:41 CEST 2015

On 14 October 2015 at 15:04, Wes Turner <wes.turner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2015 7:50 PM, "Robert Collins" <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:

> * egg-info and dist-info should generate JSONLD

The .egg-info and .dist-info directories are existing defined formats,
I don't see any way that they can be retroactively defined as being
JSONLD. I understand you have a JSONLD spec being discussed - this
would be a successor to PEP-426, and Nick has put the breaks on all
such things until we *catch up* with the already designed and defined
work - so I'm not sure where your spec fits in things: but even
assuming its all approved, we still can't change the meaning of
existing in the wild artifacts.

> * sdist, bdist, and wheel should update **append to** the same JSONLD
> metadata document

Why?

> * if there are additional parameters which would be necessary to reproduce a
> package(s), those should be included in the package metadata

Why?

> ... the *provenance* of these build artifacts would then be represented in
> the package metadata document

I hate to sound like a broken record, but why? We could list the
hashes of all the headers the C compiler consulted in generating a
numpy extension module, but what problem are we solving.

> is this specific to sdist? nope, sorry, now is the time.

The time for what?

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>